Back to school preparation can be both exciting and stressful for students and parents. It takes organization and planning to pull together all of the supplies needed, and to get back into a routine of waking up early and preparing lunches.
Having to prepare your child with food allergies for school adds an additional layer of considerations around food safety and hygiene. It can feel overwhelming and scary to send your child out into a world full of allergens, but with some effective communication, establishing rules and empowering your child with techniques on how to keep themselves safe, back-to-school preparation with food allergies can be less stressful.
Read HypeFoodie’s top 10 things you need to do to prepare your child with food allergies to go to school on the HuffingtonPost.
1. Communicate with school staff
2. Create an allergy “cheat sheet” for your child’s teachers
3. Educate your child about their allergens
4. Find Suitable Medical Identification
5. Comfortable Medication Carry Case
6. Pack an allergy-friendly backpack/locker
7. Establish safe lunch and snack-time routines
8. Involve your child in meal planning
9. Prepare your child for an emergency
10. Empower your child with strategies on how to stay safe