|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup aquafaba (drained from a 19 fl oz can of unsalted chickpeas)
- 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200F (100C).
- Pour out the liquid from the can of chickpeas and add it to a large mixing bowl along with the vanilla extract.
- Start beating on high, and slowly pour in the sugar as the beater is running. Continue to beat, stopping every now and then to check the meringue. When stiff peaks hold in the meringue without it collapsing, they are ready.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use a piping bag, or a spoon to dollop on the meringue into even mounds.
- Bake for 1.5 hour to two hours and 30 minutes (depending on size of cookies), rotating the pans half way through. If the meringues are small or you want a chewy center, opt for less time. If they are large or you prefer a meringue that is crunchy all the way through, opt for more time.
- Store in a cool dry place, or in the freezer.
Read more about this recipe and see step by step pictures on Pauline Osena's Allergy-Friendly Makeovers on the Huffington Post Living