|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 6 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces silken tofu (drained)
- 3⁄4 cups pureed pumpkin (approx ½ of a 13 ounce can)
- 1 cup soy milk (unsweetened, plain, vanilla or lite vanilla)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- 1⁄2 cup Brown sugar (¾ cup if you want it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice (optional - nice touch for holidays)
To make Caramel:
- boil sugar and water in a small saucepan until it is thick. You will know it’s ready when the caramel does not drip from a spoon.
- pour caramel into a pan/mold and manipulate the dish to spread the caramel on sides of pan and then make sure caramel is evenly covered on the bottom of pan
- Set aside to let caramel cool and harden in pan at room temperature
To make Flan:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all filling ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until smooth and completely combined.
- Scrape into the caramel lined pan. Gently smooth top
- Place the pan/mold in a larger roasting pan and fill the surrounding area with hot water until it reaches up to the same height as the flan mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Allow flan to cool in pan completely before refrigerating it for at least 4 hours (ideally overnight) covered with foil or saran wrap.
- To unmold the flan, simply run a knife around the sides, place an upside down serving platter over the flan then invert really quickly.
Can substitute pumpkin puree for butternut squash puree