|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry yellow split peas
- 1 ham bone
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 4 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- Rinse and drain split peas.
- Place split peas, ham bone, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper into a large pot with water.
- Bring mixture to a boil and skim off any foam with a spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered. Stir occasionally until peas are tender and soup is thick - approximately 3 hours.
- Remove ham bone from soup and strip meat from ham bone. Chop meat into small pieces and return it to the pot.
Serve soup hot with gluten-free bread or crackers.
You can freeze the soup in an air tight container for up to one month. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, add a little bit of water and reheat on low. Stir frequently.