I have a deep fryer, and have used it in the past to make homemade chicken wings, but lately I’ve been feeling too lazy and disorganized to use 3L of oil and spending at least an hour cleaning the fryer just for a batch of wings.
I wanted to find an easy weeknight dinner solution for chicken wings, and came up with these crispy baked chicken wings. This recipe is completely free from gluten and top allergens, and requires a maximum of 20 minutes of your attention before you place them in the oven and move on to other things requiring your attention.
These crispy baked chicken wings are so tasty and delicious, you’ll never consider deep frying your wings again!
Here’s how to make Gluten-free Crispy Baked Chicken Wings:
- 5 pounds chicken wings split, tips removed
- 2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon optional spices: basil, oregano, vegetable seasoning, steak spice, garlic powder, or chili powder
- 1 cup white rice flour or any gluten-free flour blend
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Prepare chicken wings by washing them well and drying with a paper towel.
- Place chicken wings in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and any spices you choose to flavor your wings with.
- Sift together flour, starch and salt in a large bowl.
- Toss chicken wings in the flour mixture and place on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Turn the chicken wings after 20 minutes. Wings are done when they are crispy and brown.